Monday, May 13, 2013

Obituary - Vernon Abeynaike

From: Sena & Sarojini <csn48@aol.com>
Date: Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Subject: Sad news; another of our batch mates disappears from our lot
To: philipv203@gmail.com


Hi Philip

Just to share the very sad news of one of our batch mates who passed away peacefully.

Vernon was a very sincere and a helpful colleague who continued to remain in the motherland to serve the sick.  He was very caring and attended to the health needs of the local community with dignity and with humility.

We can offer our deepest sympathies to his surviving family members.

I am copying the obituary notice which appears in the Daily News of 13.05.2013.


Nana

C.S. Nanayakkara

DR. ABEYNAIKE - C.L.V. (VERNIE). Beloved husband of the late Marlene Abeynaike, loving father of Sunil & Alison, Niranjani & Ajith (Ranasinha), Sohan & Shanya, Nilhan & Natasha, adored grandfather of Hayden & Rhea, Asanga & Nicola, Avin & Kyan and Jayden, son of the late Dr F.V. and Christable Abeynaike, brother of the late Ranjini Panditharatne, Manik Markalanda, Winston (Winsie), Colvin (Lala) and Mohan. Service at residence No. 34/3, Sumanarama Road, Mt. Lavinia at 3.45 p.m. on Wednesday 15th May. Thereafter cortege leaves at 4.15 p.m. for cremation at Galkissa Cemetery. 106580





sena nanayakkara

Thanks
For relaying
Old friend
Neighbour
Before university
And medical college days from Templars rd  Mt Lavinia
In march when i visited
He was not available
Known his parents. The Sr Dr Abey
And vernon did not show much of an interest in travelling
Though he had  an open invitation
To visit us and see cinti and USa

Cannot ever recollect  any disagreement between us
I saw him often as i went 2/3 times per yr to Ceylon then
Later Lanka
Pandi and I with a couple of others met him regularly
He was very quiet
Never controversial
Always a good friend.
No one was aware of any illness
Even after he moved the office acros Galle Rd to the sea side.
May he rest in peace
And attain the highest level of Enlightenment.
With love and fond memories 
Bernard De Silva
Late Sheila de Silva
Templar rd Mt
Vista av Cincinnati USA

1 comment:

Dr Nihal D Amerasekera said...

Hi Philip
A Tribute to Vernon Abeynaike
When Ceylon/Sri Lanka had just the one medical school, doctors were a small group. They knew each other. A strong cohesion remained among the medics. At times the bond seemed tribal. From 1970-74, I crisscrossed the country on my official travels for the Central Blood Bank. I regarded these journeys as my adventures to see the unsophisticated charm of my homeland at government expense. Once I went on a trip to Welimada. I had booked a room for the night in the Rest House. When I arrived there in the late afternoon I was met by the DMO, Dr. Vernon Abeynaike. He was a final year student when I entered the faculty. I knew him only by sight. After the usual pleasantries, he asked me to stay with him. He spoke to the Rest House keeper and got my booking canceled. Vernon and his wife made me feel at home in their lovely and spacious DMO’s bungalow. He was delightful company and had a fine repertoire of amusing anecdotes. Vernon was rewarded with an extraordinary breadth and depth of knowledge about many things in life. After a delicious dinner we chatted well into the night. He had the remarkable ability see the goodness of people. I have remembered this act of kindness to a "stranger" with much gratitude. Later, Vernon became a successful GP in Mt Lavinia making a tremendous contribution to the life of that community. I was sad to see his obituary in May 2013. I will always remember Vernon for his friendship, generosity, humility and decency.
May his Soul Rest in Peace.