Saturday, July 23, 2016

'Hitavana kavi' - Old Sinhalese impromptu poetry



-----Original Message-----
From: Malin Weeratne [
mailto:mweeratne@charter.net] 
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2016 4:07 PM
To: J. K. S. Weerasekera
Cc: vaustin@gmail.com
Subject: Hi

Hi, Susiri,
Old memories come to my mind from time to time, out of the blue, from the
time I was 3- 4 years old, growing up initially in my father's home in
Peradeniya, before moving to my mother's in Havelock Town for schooling.
I distinctly remember Lord Mountbatten's black limousine going past our
house, several times, his headquarters was just about a hundred yards away
on the opposite side of the road, at Peradeniya botanical gardens.
When I started kindergarten, in 1944, at Visakha, and grade I at Royal Prep
in 1944, the medium of instruction was in English, only, my class teacher
was either an English or Burgher lady, miss Scotlin, we all had to get up
and greet her every morning, and say, good morning miss Scotlin.
Grade II in 1946, transformed to the new swabasha.
I like to share a kavi, that I learned then, which suddenly came to my mind,
clear as a bell out of the blue, after more than 70 years!
Have you heard this kavi?
Goda mada dekama sarusaraya, palabaraya.
 Katuroda gammana tharamaka pitisaraya.
 E gama medin galana ganga manaharaya.
 Kadamandiya pihitiye gama addaraya.

Reply from Susiri
Malin,
I too was born at Godagangdeniya, a hill close to Peradeniya Railway
station. 
Beautiful. The botanical gardens had a sangili-paalama- which I was too
scared to cross, a veralu tree with blue seeds. I saw it again 50 years
later over 50 feet tall, bearing blue fruit.
 Ranjith Wijesuriya's father was station master. As the carriages shunted or
bunted we called him bunting uncle.
Havent heard of the kaviya you remember below.
Those days many around could create Sinhala poems stat, to suit the
occasion. Called hitivana kavi.
Many were to and fro poetic clashes, like baila those days.
Gajaman Nona was said to be good at it. Song on 'Denipitiya nuga ruka' is
said to be one.
She had a distant 'no see' romance in poetry with Elapatha of Ratnapura. And
friendship with D'oyly.
Doyly who was there in Kandy when our King was taken prisoner, late became a
recluse living an entire local type of life.Era around 1800 when Brits yet
had not occupied.
     My 76 yr old female cousin can do such 'hitivana kavi'.


No comments: