Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Travails of driving in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Email  from JKS Weerasekera

This type of trick had vanished years ago. Now making a come back.
In the 1990s at Horton Place a female doctor( Mahal-anaesthetist)  who stopped at the main  traffic light was accosted by a thug looking man.
’ Nona, nona, mage kalula udin giya’ She felt scared. Offered Rs50 and got off.

A few weeks later, at the same spot in the same manner the same man  accosted.
She had said ‘ Last time I gave you Rs 50. This time I will give only Rs 25/” and she did.
True but unbelievable.
jksw
                                                                        
Look out for this Blind man – You don’t have to be his next victim?
 
Dear All,

I'm writing this to draw your attention to a scam happening in Colombo city limits. Last week, on route to Colombo I slowed down at a pedestrian crossing on seeing a blind man somewhere in Wellawatte, Galle Road. He did not cross or indicated that he was going that he was going to cross, and so I proceeded forwarded.  The minute I went forward, he tapped the centre of my vehicle towards the rear passenger side.

I immediately stopped and attended to him by which time a crowd had gathered. He was not physically hurt in any way as he had not stepped onto the road but his cane had broken. A few people came forward and requested I take him to a police station. Two trishaw drivers asked me to pay him some money and send him home as he was poor.

A bus conductor on the other hand told me that he was a fraud and not to fall prey to him. However, my conscience, and need to get to the bottom of this drew me in a different direction and I offered to help him get a new cane. He told me that it was called a 'sensor' cane which cost him approximately Three thousand rupees a few years ago. In short he wanted more money to buy another one.

I then went to several places looking for this cane which was obviously not available anywhere.(Later he told me that it is not available at pharmacies as it is only given to the persons who carry blind person ID, which he showed me that he was genuine) Making a faulty judgment call, I gave him three thousand rupees and dropped him off at the Pettah bus stand as he then requested as an alternative.

I did not go to the police nor reported the incident anywhere as I was feeling guilty knocking down a Blind man on the crossing.

Today morning on my way to work, I noticed a commotion down Torrington avenue near the church. On drawing closer, I identified the same blind man attempting a similar stunt.

Right in front of my eyes I saw he crossed the road and purposely touched the rear door of the passing car and he fell off.

I stopped my vehicle and approached the driver who was equally shaken as I was last week. I raised my voice and clearly told those gathered around and the driver to go to the police and that I was willing to accompany him as witness and provide evidence.

No sooner did the so called "blind man" heard me and obviously have seen me, he scooted off in a trishaw waiting nearby. The driver who happened to be a senior official in a Ministry thanked me and said he would get to the bottom of it with any Authorities.

The outcome of all this and whether  the culprits will be rounded up, I don't know. And this is a very organized way of stealing money from people. It is not just one man show for sure, as I noted that there were few supporters around him.

However please beware as you may be their next victim. My advice is to go straight to the police should you face an encounter. Make sure that you take a photo of the blind man from your ipone if possible before taking him to police.

An Irritated Citizen

(This is a True Story-- Please circulate among your friends, families & loved ones)


No comments: