Friday, March 27, 2015

When I’m sixty-four - The Beatles.



Please click on each of the web-links below with your speakers on:-


When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'til quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?
You'll be older too
Ah
And, if you say the word, I could stay with you
I could be handy, mending a fuse, when your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, Sunday mornings, go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?
Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Ah
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck, and Dave
Send me a postcard, drop me a line, stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

Songwriters

Paul Mc Cartney;John Lennon

Published by

SONY/ATV TUNES LLC
The song is sung by a young man to his lover, and is about his plans of growing old together with her. Although the theme is ageing, it was one of the first songs McCartney wrote, when he was only 16.[3] It was on the Beatles playlist in their early days as a song to perform when the amplifiers broke down or the electricity went off.[5][6] Both George Martin and Mark Lewisohn speculated that McCartney may have thought of the song when recording began for Sgt. Pepper in December 1966 because his father turned 64 earlier that year.[5][6]

Lennon said of the song, "Paul wrote it in the Cavern days. We just stuck a few more words on it like 'grandchildren on your knee' and 'Vera, Chuck and Dave' ... this was just one that was quite a hit with us."[7] In his 1980 interview for Playboy he said, "I would never even dream of writing a song like that."[4]
Wikipedia

No comments: