Monday, June 7, 2010

email from Lakshman Karalliedde

To all,
It was great to read the tribute to Kapu. I am not reluctant to highlight that there would be a grave omission if we some one does not write re Daya and ranjini and their efforts towards Sri Lanka cricket during the infancy of the sport (whilst there is no shortage of folks making mileage/money etc) from the present staus of Sri Lanka cricket.I know very little but you would know some one who knows more.When the Sri Lanka cricket team arrived in England for the fitst time (I think) Daya, Ranjini, late Derek samarawickrema, late Dr Bernie Peiris -these are folks I knew of and many others hosted them in their residences, fed, watered and financed and provided transport etc as they were very poorly remunerated. I am aware that Daya and Ranjini organized several fund raising projects along with others in the group, but Daya and ranjini were in the forefront. They also established and enhanced relationships with the Governing Body of the MCC and other personnel of influence in the cricketing world to enable Sri Lanka to enter the global arena. These were pioneering and very significant efforts, voluntary and at their own expenditure which, as with many things in life are now possibly (hopefully not) forgotten. I had just arrived to the UK in 1990, my participation was nix but was certainly aware of the efforts and expenditure by these batchmates of ours.This was, to my knowledge a period in Sri Lanka International cricket where there were no rewards. honours etc for such activities.There should atleast be some mention of these two in particular, there may have been other whom I am not aware of, even at this last stage.
Karals

No comments: