Sunday, July 9, 2017

Odds and ends

Micro-waving water

A WARNING -useful


Lakshman Karalliedde

9:11 PM (8 hours ago)
to bcc: me
As forwarded
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya <>
Date: Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Subject: Fwd: Fw: A WARNING -useful
To:  Dear Friends,
> We do not use microvawe ovens, simply because the nutrient content is
> altered (according to research) although the manufacturers say that
> only the water molecules vibrate and this is what causes heat
> If you use microwave ovens - this email of the dangers of boiling
> liquids is for you.
> R.S.Seneviratne
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> 7/4/17, 2:05:42 PM: ‪+94 77 648 8104‬: ❌MICROWAVING WATER❌
> A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of
> water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had
> done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer
> for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil.  When the timer shut
> the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the
> cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but suddenly the water
> in the cup 'blew up' into his face. The cup remained intact until he
> threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his
> face due to the build-up of energy. His  whole face is blistered and
> he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring.
> He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the
> hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a
> fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a
> microwave oven.
> General  Electric's Response:
> Thanks for contacting us; I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail
> that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do
> not always bubble when they reach boiling point. They can actually get
> superheated, and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble
> up out of the  cup - when it is moved, or when something like a spoon
> or tea bag is put into it.
> To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any
> liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup
> stand in the microwave for thirty seconds be fore moving it or adding
> anything into it.
> Pass this on, you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and
> suffering.
> Forwarded as received.....