Sunday, May 30, 2010

email from Dawood re Anton Fernando.

Dear Phillip,I feel obliged to write a few words about "Anta"- that wonderful personality - the recently departed Dr.KAJ Fernando.I never met him after March 1965 when we dispersed throughout Ceylon as young interns. I had longed to meet him after I finally returned to live in SL.But he was said to be in Botswana.Anta and I shared many a laugh together in the common room, Uncle's canteen and elsewhere. He was a a jolly friend, always with a smile on his face, never a scowl whatever the outcomes of Sigs and exams! The recently posted image of the "Jolly Mandarin" would fit him to a "'T'".Gallops, Split seconds and triples were reasons for hilarity!Things to do with Horses, Races and Bookies!His hilarity however was subdued, gracious,never gross, and never at the expense of another!Not a bitter word have I heard him utter about a colleague or teacher.He was completely without rancour. For him,The sun always shone and the birds always sang!May it be so in eternal life too!.I will always remember Anta with joy in my heart and a smile on my lips!Dawood

No comments: